EQ7 Quick Start
Class format: Two printable lessons with supplemental videos.
This FREE class is set to run for longer sessions than EQU's regular classes. Therefore you have access to the class Q&A forum for a longer than normal period of time. Once your enrolled session is over, the forum will close, just like other EQU classes.
Try Out EQ University
This easy class gives you a free “taste” of EQ University. You’ll use one of EQ7’s “ready-made” quilts, redesign it by adding new blocks and fabrics. Then you’ll print rotary cutting charts for a block, setting triangle, and border strip. Along the way you’ll learn to analyze a block’s structure, determining what size is best-suited to it.
Borders are often after-thoughts. This class spotlights them while introducing a new border tool you may not have yet discovered. Expect time to play as you experiment on your own while you’re learning.
We hope you enjoy this free intro the EQ7! But you have so much more to learn! Check out our other EQ7 classes for more extensive learning.
Please note: EQ University classes are NOT video classes. Some offer supplemental videos to help step out the steps, but these are not full video classes.
Lesson 1: Easy Design Starters
This lesson assumes you have already worked through EQ7’s 6 lessons on designing quilts. If you haven’t, please realize you are missing many elementary basics. We suggest everyone, at some time, find some quiet moments to open EQ7, click HELP > EQ Lessons, and work through the lessons about Quilts and Printing.
- Restore the default settings
- Open a Quick-Quilt Project
- Preview quilts
- Put a quilt back onto the worktable
- Name a project file
- Change a central medallion into a multi-block design
- Learn to choose block size perfect for block structure
- Get blocks from the Library
- Set blocks into the quilt
- Get fabric from the Library
- Recolor with the Swap All Colors tool
- Name a quilt
- Print Rotary Cutting patterns for block, setting triangles and border strips.
- Exit EQ7
Lesson 2: Fast Border Beginnings
We’ll reopen our earlier Lesson One project. Adding a fun new tool to the toolbar, you’ll discover how to audition pre-designed borders and magically find new blocks have added themselves to your Sketchbook. Then you’ll preview and print foundation blocks.
- Open the Lesson 1 project.
- Get a quilt from the Sketchbook
- Adjust border size and block number
- Add a new tool to the quilt toolbar
- Explore using Auto Borders
- Use border blocks in your quilt center
- Rotate blocks
- Search for fabrics by color
- Recolor with the Paintbrush tool
- Preview foundation patterns
- Move units on the pattern print preview
- Understand on-point block sizes
Lessons are posted as shown below. Your teacher is available through the end of the sessions for assistance.
Week 1Lesson 1
Easy Design Starters
Week 2Lesson 2
Fast Border Beginnings