Think outside the box! Not every quilt is made of equal-sized blocks. EQ8’s Custom Set layout is like starting with a large design wall and placing blocks of different sizes next to one another to create beautiful quilts. Using a combination of the Set Block tool and the Adjust tool is where the magic happens.
This half-day class will concentrate on the Custom Set layout style on the Quilt Worktable. You’ll design a custom quilt from scratch, manipulate layouts from the Layout Library, plus you’ll learn a fun trick for instantly creating a quilt layout from a block that you drew yourself.
You’ll have fun as you learn to set, rotate, flip, resize, stack, clip, and manipulate multiple blocks at once. The irregular layouts can be used over and over to create t-shirt quilts, photo quilts, modern quilts, folk-art style, applique, pieced, and the possibilities go on and on.
- Review the basics of setting and customizing the sizes for blocks in the custom layout
- Learn the quilt grid settings for easy snapping and sizing of blocks as you set them
- Learn to draw a block and turn it into a quilt layout
- Explore the Layouts by Style in the Layout Library
- Save newly created layouts to the Layout library
Who Should Take this Course
- Students with basic EQ8 knowledge
- Students who want to design quilts with blocks of different sizes and proportions
- Handouts for creating all the designs created in class, including extra ones for practice at home
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff