S2019 - Designing Custom Quilts in EQ8
An intermediate student has used EQ8 software enough where he/she has a good grasp of the basic tools, knows how to navigate among the worktables, and understands how to add items to and retrieve items from the Project Sketchbook and libraries. Students should know how to navigate to their My EQ8 folder and their Downloads folder on their computers.
Think outside the box! Not every quilt is made of equal-sized blocks. EQ8’s Custom Set layout is like starting with a large design wall and placing blocks of different sizes next to one another to create beautiful quilts. Using a combination of the Set Block tool and the Adjust tool is where the magic happens.
This full-day class will concentrate on the Custom Set layout style on the Quilt Worktable. You’ll design several custom quilts from scratch, manipulate layouts from the Layout Library, plus you’ll learn a fun trick for instantly creating a quilt layout from a block that you drew yourself. By the end of class, you’ll have a library of layouts to take home with you.
You’ll have fun as you learn to set, rotate, flip, resize, stack, clip, and manipulate multiple blocks at once. The irregular layouts can be used over and over to create t-shirt quilts, photo quilts, modern quilts, folk-art style, applique, pieced, and the possibilities go on and on.
- Review the basics of setting and customizing the sizes for blocks in the custom layout.
- Learn the quilt grid settings for easy snapping and sizing of blocks as you set them.
- Create a variety of quilt designs with a single layout.
- Learn to draw a block and turn it into a quilt layout.
- Explore the Layouts by Style in the Layout Library.
- Save newly created layouts to the Layout library.
Who Should Take this Course
- Confident beginner- to intermediate-level students with basic EQ8 knowledge.
- Students who want to design quilts with blocks of different sizes and proportions.
- Students who already have good knowledge of the EQ8 Quilt Worktable.
- Small class size for optimal learning experience. 16 maximum students per class.
- Take-home handouts.
- Complete instructions for finding EQ8 help: When to get it? Where to go?
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.