Fall2018 - Designing Modern Quilts in EQ8
An intermediate student has used EQ8 software enough where he/she has a good grasp of the basic tools, knows how to navigate among the worktables, and understands how to add items to and retrieve items from the Project Sketchbook and libraries. Students should know how to navigate to their My EQ8 folder and their Downloads folder on their computers.
EQ8 isn’t just for traditional designs! In this class, you’ll learn to design quilts with a modern aesthetic using Custom Set, strip quilts, and other layouts that break out of the conventional grids. Use borders to your advantage and learn how to manipulate classic blocks on the Block Worktable to give them a modern spin.
In this full-day course you’ll explore topics such as negative space, manipulating the scale of blocks, and drawing your own unique quilt layouts. You’ll play with deconstructing blocks and discovering new colorways for quilt designs.
At the end of this class, you’ll have a Sketchbook full of quilts that will inspire your own modern designs!
Note: This class was offered at the Spring 2018 EQ Academy and will cover the same material.
- Create quilts with a modern twist using a variety of different layout styles.
- Learn the ins and outs of using Custom Set to create quilt designs.
- Draw blocks that can be converted to layouts.
- Edit blocks from the library to create new variations.
- Use the coloring tools to audition new colorways.
Who Should Take this Course
- Intermediate-level students with EQ8 knowledge in creating quilts and basic drawing.
- Students who want to design quilts with a modern style, negative space, and asymmetry.
- Small class size for optimal learning experience. 16 maximum students per class.
- Handouts for all the designs created in class.
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.