Drawing Applique (and More!) in EQ8
An intermediate student has used EQ8 software enough where he/she has a good grasp of the basic tools, knows how to navigate among the worktables, and understands how to add items to and retrieve items from the Project Sketchbook and libraries. Students should know how to navigate to their My EQ8 folder and their Downloads folder on their computers.
While we’ll be working mostly with the Applique drawing tools, you’ll learn to draw much more than just applique blocks. You may start with freehand drawing or tracing an image. Then discover how to use the same tools to create embellishments for your pieced blocks (crazy quilt embroidery stitches) or add geometric shapes to enhance open areas of a pieced block. Learn to create continuous line free-motion quilting designs that can be traced onto your quilt top and quilted. Edit existing blocks in the program. Audition shapes, stitches and colors with your drawing tools.
- Move, resize, rotate, flip, clone, and stack patches using the Shapes tool.
- Learn the difference between blocks and motifs in EQ8 and how to use them.
- Combine existing patches from Library blocks to create new blocks.
- Use the Bezier tool and Freehand tool to create smooth curves.
- Edit node properties allowing for more natural and intricate shapes.
- Import images for tracing.
- Learn tips and tricks for tracing images.
Who Should Take this Course
- Confident beginner- to intermediate-level students with basic EQ8 knowledge.
- Students who are interested in creating their own applique block designs and using them in quilts.
- Students who want to expand their knowledge of the Applique drawing tools to learn ways to embellish their quilts.
- Take-home handouts.
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.