Drawing Pieced Blocks in EQ8
A beginner student would be someone who is very new to using EQ8 software. Some beginners have never opened the software, while others have just dabbled. Beginner classes will be taught as if the students are all starting from scratch with EQ8. These slower-paced classes will help all students keep up with the lessons. Steps and terminology will be repeated often to help students connect concepts and skills together.
So many pieced blocks, so little time! In this half-day class you’ll learn how to use the two pieced-drawing styles in EQ8—EasyDraw and PolyDraw—to create your own block designs.
Working in EasyDraw is like drawing with paper and pencil. You’ll learn the “rules” of EasyDraw and how to properly set up your workspace and snap settings for successful drawing. Discover how determining a block’s grid will help you draw it AND what sizes will be easiest to sew when you print the patterns.
PolyDraw blocks are drawn patch-by-patch. Learn how to use the specialized grids to their full potential and how fun it is to fill in a block using the clone-and-rotate method.
Not only will you be drawing blocks from scratch, but you’ll also learn how to edit existing blocks from the library. The block possibilities will be endless when you’ve completed this class!
Note: Techniques for drawing foundation-pieced blocks (paper piecing) will be taught in the Saturday afternoon “Drawing Foundation-Pieced Blocks” class.
- Learn how to find the block’s grid.
- Set up block dimensions and snaps based on the grid.
- Learn which drawing style (EasyDraw or PolyDraw) is appropriate for the block you want to create.
- Edit blocks from the library.
- Determine appropriate sizes for blocks to make them easier to sew.
- Preview and discuss block printing styles.
Who Should Take this Course
- Beginner- to intermediate-level students with basic EQ8 knowledge.
- Students who are interested in creating their own pieced block designs and using them in quilts.
- Take-home handouts.
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.