Fall2018 - Getting Started with EQ8 (2-day series)
A beginner student would be someone who is very new to using EQ8 software. Some beginners have never opened the software, while others have just dabbled. Beginner classes will be taught as if the students are all starting from scratch with EQ8. These slower-paced classes will help all students keep up with the lessons. Steps and terminology will be repeated often to help students connect concepts and skills together.
Are you new to EQ8? Have you owned earlier versions but just didn’t use the software? This class is perfect for beginner EQ8 users needing the full-EQ experience. Take an in-depth tour through the software to get a better understanding of the three worktables, the Project Sketchbook, and how to navigate the entire workspace so you can design your own beautiful blocks and quilts!
Join us for this two-day course and learn the tools for basic quilt designing. Edit blocks from the EQ Block Library to make them work for your quilt. Add borders of different widths and styles. Discover the many ways to expand your EQ8 software by adding more fabric. Study the many pattern-printing options available and learn how to find yardage estimates.
The best way to learn is by doing. This course begins by following step-by-step handouts with the instructor to create designs. You will learn so much as you practice and repeat steps, and it will never get boring because you’re creating beautiful quilts and blocks along the way! As your skills improve, you’ll no longer need step-by-step help. You will take home the skills and confidence to work independently in EQ8.
This is a 2-day class. Enrolling in this class requires that you attend both days.
This class was offered at the Spring EQ Academy and will cover similar material. However, we strongly recommend taking this class again if you still don’t feel you have great confidence when using the software. The “Exploring Intermediate Techniques in EQ8″ class is meant for those who have taken this “Getting Started with EQ8″ class previously (or a similar beginner class), have retained what they’ve learned, and are ready for more advanced learning.
- Understanding EQ8 project files and the Project Sketchbook
- Navigating the Quilt, Block, and Image Worktables
- Creating Horizontal and On-point quilts
- Working with and understanding EQ8’s quilt layers
- Creating perfect borders with a click of the mouse
- Printing quilt images and fabric estimates
- Pattern printing: templates, rotary cutting charts, foundation patterns
- Drawing simple pieced and applique blocks from scratch
- Searching the Block Library
- Editing blocks from the Block Library
- Searching the Fabric Library
- Adding new fabric to the Fabric Library
Who Should Take this Course
- Students with little or no experience using EQ8 who want to learn the basics of how the program works.
- Any student who wishes to refresh their skills and learn more about EQ8.
- Students who want to create and design quilts along-side other like-minded students in a creative, sharing and collaborative environment.
- Small class size for optimal learning experience. EQ8 PC and EQ8 Mac will be taught separately (only if enrollment permits).
- Handouts for creating all the designs created in class, including extra ones for practice at home!
- Complete instructions for finding EQ8 help: When to get it? Where to go?
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.