Importing Fabrics into EQ8
A beginner student would be someone who is very new to using EQ8 software. Some beginners have never opened the software, while others have just dabbled. Beginner classes will be taught as if the students are all starting from scratch with EQ8. These slower-paced classes will help all students keep up with the lessons. Steps and terminology will be repeated often to help students connect concepts and skills together.
All quilters have a fabric stash in their sewing rooms. Some larger than others! The best way to make use of that fabric is to use it in your next quilt project. EQ8 makes designing quilts with your fabric easy…and fun!
This half-day class will show you how simple it is to add your own fabric stash to EQ8. Learn how to import fabric scans, straighten, scale, crop and add the fabrics to your Favorites library! Explore additional ways to add more fabrics to your library, such as: downloading from a fabric manufacturer’s website, saving a fabric image from the web, and downloading new libraries provided by The Electric Quilt Company.
You’ll love being able to design quilts using fabrics that you own, and/or fabrics you plan to purchase in the future. These skills will help you design a true-to-life masterpiece!
Note: This class was offered at the Spring and Fall 2018 EQ Academy workshops. This class will be taught by a different teacher, but will cover similar material.
- Use provided fabric scans to learn the process of importing, rotating, and cropping to the repeat.
- Learn about fabric scale to make sure your fabrics look the same in your virtual quilt, as they do in your sewn quilt.
- Set fabrics into quilts and learn how to rotate and fussy cut the fabrics within the patches and borders.
- Discuss the steps (and caveats) for taking photos of fabrics with your camera.
- Import fabrics into EQ8 from fabric manufacturer websites.
- Download and install fabric libraries from Electric Quilt and Do You EQ websites.
- Create My Favorite Libraries to save your fabrics for use in all EQ8 projects.
Who Should Take this Course
- Students who have taken an EQ8 beginner course, whether at EQ Academy or another venue.
- Students who are interested in importing their own fabrics for use in EQ8.
- Students who are capable of navigating to and from the My EQ8 folder and the Downloads folder on their computers. Moving files (copying/pasting) between these two directories is repeated often.
- Small class size for optimal learning experience; 16 maximum students per class.
- Handouts that include steps to repeat at home, plus resources for downloading fabrics from several different manufacturers’ websites.
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.