Fall2018 - Drawing Pieced Blocks in EQ8
A beginner student would be someone who is very new to using EQ8 software. Some beginners have never opened the software, while others have just dabbled. Beginner classes will be taught as if the students are all starting from scratch with EQ8. These slower-paced classes will help all students keep up with the lessons. Steps and terminology will be repeated often to help students connect concepts and skills together.
Due to low enrollment, this class has been cancelled. If you’re looking for a block drawing class, please consider the Drawing Blocks in EQ8 class.
So many pieced blocks, so little time! In this half-day class you’ll learn how to use the two pieced-drawing styles in EQ8—EasyDraw and PolyDraw—to create your own block designs.
Working in EasyDraw is like drawing with paper and pencil. You’ll learn the “rules” of EasyDraw and how to properly set up your workspace and snap settings for successful drawing. Discover how determining a block’s grid will help you draw it AND what sizes will be easiest to sew when you print the patterns.
PolyDraw blocks are drawn patch-by-patch. Learn how to use the specialized grids to their full potential and how fun it is to fill in a block using the clone-and-rotate method.
Not only will you be drawing blocks from scratch, but you’ll also learn how to edit existing blocks from the library. The block possibilities will be endless when you’ve completed this class!
Note: This class is a more in-depth look into the techniques of drawing basic pieced blocks than what you would learn in the Saturday morning “Drawing Blocks in EQ8” class. This class will focus strictly on pieced block drawing (using the EasyDraw and PolyDraw tools), while the Saturday “Drawing Blocks in EQ8” class will cover all the block drawing styles. Techniques for drawing foundation-pieced blocks (paper piecing) will be taught in the Saturday afternoon “Drawing Foundation-Pieced Blocks” class.
- Learn how to find the block’s grid.
- Set up block dimensions and snaps based on the grid.
- Learn which drawing style (EasyDraw or PolyDraw) is appropriate for the block you want to create.
- Edit blocks from the library.
- Determine appropriate sizes for blocks to make them easier to sew.
- Print patterns for the blocks.
Who Should Take this Course
- Beginner- to intermediate-level students with basic EQ8 knowledge.
- Students who are interested in creating their own pieced block designs and using them in quilts.
- Small class size for optimal learning experience. 16 maximum students per class.
- Handouts for all the designs created in class.
- Classroom assistance from EQ staff.